Old 09-13-15, 07:22 PM
IcySmooth52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StayGold
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a cheap bike right now (under $250) since my previous bike was destroyed by some ahole when I parked it at school this past Monday.
This (but the 2011 model): (Save Up to 60% Off Shimano Road Bikes - Dawes Lightning Sport AL)
I rode it for a year and 2 months.

Now, I want to get a new bike and I don't want to spend too much on it. I don't care much about whether the parts are not good or whatever (just if the parts fall off after a couple weeks of riding it); I just want a bike that I can use to commute from school or go to other places.

Also, the routes that I usually take have a lot of downhills (I live in San Francisco), so is it safe to ride downhill with a fixie, or would it be better to just walk down? I've never ridden a fixie so I don't know how it works.

The bike that I'm thinking of getting is this: Critical Cycles Fixed-Gear / Single-Speed Bikes with Pista Handlebars | With Flip-Flop
I prefer this bike because of the handlebars (I don't like the BMX ones because of the feel)
Like other's have said, ride with brakes. You should consider using your shoe's rubber on the rubber to slow down will make the cost of your Converse go up, and possibly your medical expenses.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't expect this bike to last very long. And a cost to consider is the assembly and maintenance it'll require. If you just want to ride within a few blocks and don't mind walking home once a week due to mechanical malfunction after it 'breaks-in' a bit, I'd say get it.