Old 08-01-20, 12:26 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Tires will not explode. Vacuum is 0 psi, not minus infinity psi. (If anyone comes up with something that makes pressure below 0 absolute, patent it immediately.)

It's very likely you would need to take into account the time to accelerate up to the speed you want, and time to decelerate to reverse, because it's still only 1/4hp or something. The energy tied up in the wheels too. You will likely need to model a spherical Moon because by the top you're doing a pretty good percentage of the minimum orbital speed.

Added on edit: you don't need a rotating spherical moon because the moon rotating slowly enough to ignore and the effect is canceled on the return trip.
As I said, you just need to lower internal pressure by one atmosphere although you could get away with more because the tires will be bearing one sixth the weight.

I didn’t show all my work but yes, available traction will limit your acceleration. My estimate was that I could increase (or decrease!) my speed by not more than 6 km/hr per second.

Otto