View Single Post
Old 10-24-20, 08:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I've bent rims hanging bikes by the front wheel like that. If some one bumps them or something falls over into them they torque and bend the rim.

Never again.
I'd be inclined to think that they were wheels that were ready to fail, every shop I ever worked at used hooks and the first shop during the summer could have close to 300 bikes between new and repairs hanging from hooks, never seen a rim bent from hanging and over the 15 years I was a tech that would have covered tens of thousands of bikes.

Originally Posted by bblair
I guess that would depend on the load and direction. Maybe I will place a few more screws, I do have a full box of them and no other projects in the works.
Just make sure the bit doesn't get too hot if you try to drill through the wood and into the concrete. Don't want the board to burn.

My basement has 12 bikes hanging from hooks, its an inelegant way to get the job done but it does get the job done. Course I have another 5 bikes leaning against the wall in the living room, and several in the shed and a very loving wife that also likes to ride.