Old 04-26-21, 08:21 AM
freewheely

Bikes: 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Where in Europe are you? Here in the US, people like their bike accessories to be detachable to prevent theft. I happen to like the Dutch approach to bolting things on, but maybe there aren't enough of us who feel this way. Someone tried to steal my dynamo-powered headlight, bolted onto my bike. He didn't have a wrench (idiot) so he just bent the bracket. No problem, I just bent the bracket back. The concept of bolted-on stuff is proven. Thieves are too stupid to carry wrenches.
I'm from Belgium (and also Dutch speaking ). Wasn't aware that bolting things on was known as a typically Dutch approach :-)

Detaching stuff is indeed the best way to prevent theft, just as removing the steering wheel of car is. I just don't like to carry these stuff along every time I make a stop for a 30 min walk or break. The camera's are supposed to be an integral part of my bike (I don't use them for anything else).
I prefer a higher risk of theft and have this comfort in return. If someone is really determined to steal the camera, navigation (same problem), stem , saddle, light, front wheel... they'll always be able to. With the right tools in under a minute.

Like you say, I'm convinced that fixing or bolting things on makes a huge difference. My saddle is more expensive than the camera and fairly easy to remove (with the right hex key or wrench), but until now never stolen (fingers crossed).
But if it's not bolted on at all, it's like leaving the key of your car in the ignition.

Originally Posted by Daniel4
You don't need to detach your cameras is one if attached to your helmet or chest and the rear camera is attached on your pannier or trunk.
I just discovered the other day, you can make your camera battery last much longer if you plug the camera into a high capacity power pack, like 10,000 mah.
That's all I got.
Internal microphones are lousy and you can't plug your external mike in if your camera is in its waterproof case.
One 360 degree camera on the helmet would indeed be the most easy solution. Although you still have to fiddle with a cable every time you jump on and off the bike (on top of other stuff,...).
I also don't always wear a helmet, especially on short trips. I consider using a Hövding (hovding.com) airbag for bikers instead.
Good point about the waterproof case. Also cameras can overheat in hot sunny conditions when in a waterpoof case because there is not enough heat dissipation. Therefore I need a camera which is waterproof out-of-the-box. And I just discovered that the Ghost 4K is not waterproof