Old 07-23-19, 06:48 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
16mph solo on an entry level bike is probably more watts than 21 in a group on a nice bike.

Sounds like time to work on your group riding.

Try to minimize gaps they create on hills and corners. Don't take a turn pulling the first ride or two, just sit in. Ride closer than you want to.

If you want to get that serious feeling without spending money, shave your legs.
Fine advice!

I only have one (working) bike right now - a ~25 lb touring bike with 35mm flat resistant tires. I can hang with group rides where the other people are on lighter road bikes... not because I am stronger than them, but be cause I am experienced in pack riding and know how to hold on to a wheel when it's the only thing keeping me from exploding and falling off the back.

OP's description of being able to maintain 25km/h alone but not hang with a group at 33 km/h is a very clear indicator that they are not maximizing the benefits of riding in a group. When properly tucked into a draft, it should take almost zero effort to stay with the pack at 33 km/h, unless there is something wrong with your bike - buggered wheel bearings or significantly underinflated tires, for instance.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier: