Old 08-26-16, 02:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
It is rather funny though as Ocana rode non- Motobecane, but badged as such (including Speedwell ti).

As for this frame, stamped into a tube are the numbers 888 for Vitus 888, the one decal that I'd like to have. The bottom bracket has all sorts of stampings, perhaps for the production line, ahemm quality control.... I don't know. Frame and fork was lighter than my 531 Le Champion.... go figure.

Primarily for one of the granddaughters yet I'll occasionally ride this bike. I'm cramped fitting to it but if my legs feel happy, have challenged a few on group rides. Its a hoot during the times when pulling a train of modern bikes. Respectable rider, nothing to hype about though. Fun handling riding on NOS cheapo earlier Conti Giro's tubulars.

FYI. Started out as a $35 find. Trade bait and or sold some of the original bits (Shimano Arabesque derailleurs, wheels, etc.). Went digging through the parts boxes, salvaged rough looking Campy NR in the shift department, hubs, seat post. Kept and cleaned up the Moto marked brakes, crank and bars. Near zero cost.

I find if the bikes are attractive or flashy, the youngsters gravitate to them. My goal is to get them acclimated to cycling with hints of riding in vintage events, learn something different, maybe capture interest in a more advanced bike and or show care for the past. I think the BiC tribute has it. At worst, if it gets some road rash or stolen, its no biggie either.

In the pipeline is another tribute build. For another granddaughter, its a small framed Billato made early LeMond. Getting the wild paint scheme and team Z livery, traits of G.L. with the squirrelly Scott Drop-in bars. Again, done on absurd low budget. If one has the time, any of this stuff can be done for near cost of a big box store bike. To me, thats satisfying.
Good luck finding a Gemini, I missed one.
Frequent Rene Herse seller had one for auction on everyone's "favorite" site.
$1,500… no takers twice.
$1,200… nope.
Missed it when it was relisted for $1,000. So it goes!