View Single Post
Old 04-25-19, 05:47 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Do you really think all those people driving to Disney world feel bad about themselves? Have you noticed how popular resorts are that are fed by Air and large parking lots? I can promise you people travel more by plane and car than by train. And from the Grand Canyon to Mount Rushmore people look pretty happy marching around with their car in the parking lot. I doubt that your hypothetical people that feel bad now about traveling will not feel bad about not traveling in the future.
Right now you have the baby boomer generation as the grandparents. They have raised children with flying and driving and the routes for trains and buses were largely eliminated through the decades, so currently people are maintaining family traditions by doing the fly/drive thing, but we are also hearing a lot about the climate changing and concern is growing even while people aren't yet ready to forego the traditions they've built up prior to really thinking about the harm caused.

So I think, yes, people are taking those Disney trips by plane and car, but I think they will taper as the baby boomer generation is dying off.

If options don't emerge that offer people a guilt-free way to travel, there is gradually going to be less travel. Your personal viewpoint allows you to imagine people indulging in whatever they want without thinking about harm caused, but there is research coming out all the time about climate change and many people want it to go away because it is raining on the their parade, but realistically it can only go away by coming up with truly sustainable technologies and not just by whitewashing or pulling the wool over their eyes.