Old 12-16-17, 02:55 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I think this is your limiting factor. I don't think any portable trainer or rollers will provide that.

The purposes of the trainer/rollers in the infield are to:

- Increase the temperature of the muscles.
- Actively stretch the muscles.
- Increase the heart rate.
- Stimulate muscle timing.
- Cool down.

The reason I don't think any portable trainer or rollers will provide real feel is because you need inertia of mass to get that. That's the "feel" to which you refer. This is why the trainers that feel the most real have the heavier flywheels. This is why CycleOps has a 50lb flywheel on their spin bikes. This is why Kurt offers an add-on extra flywheel. This is why Kreitler offers metal end caps to their rollers. It's inertia/momentum that makes them feel more real. And that's only achieved by using more mass.

EDIT:

I think a high quality, portable mag trainer might be your best compromise if you want resistance and feel. My favorite in the past was the older (non smart) Tacx Satori from the mid-2000s. The later ones may be just as good, but I haven't tried them. Good feel. Portable. Folded up smaller than rollers.

This is why I like my Wahoo Kickr at home. That thing is awesome! But my track bike won't fit on it.