Old 06-22-14, 03:54 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JWK
Negative. While it is logical to think that might be true, it does not happen to be. There are no stores because the area has become so economically depressed. 20 years ago every little hamlet had their own little store. Little towns, villages, hamlets are broke and now have nothing. A couple of weeks ago I made a 40 mile ride and planned on getting resupplied with drinks at the halfway point in a small little village where I knew there was a general store. Nope. All boarded up.

Then there is the matter of water from streams. This is dairy country. Lots of chemical runoff pollution from farms. This is one of the things that really suck about the northeast US. No matter how far "out there" you go, everything is still polluted. I miss Oregon in that way (but not other ways). You go out in the middle of the Cascades or coastal range and the water is CLEAN.

So filtering water is a good idea, but not here. Not for me, anyway.
Pa is the same way. You can sometimes ride through dozens of towns with no convenience stores...BUT while passing through those same little hamlets...you run into tons of friendly country folks who will easily refill a water bottle for you. Also, If you are passing by a cemetery, go investigate. They usually all have a spigot, or water source for watering plants. likewise with churches, parishes, etc. There are lots of country churches and most have water sources.

Like you, all my streams around here run iron red/orange and are now horribly contaminated due to improper disposal of fracking, wastewater, well drilling, coal mining, etc. (or within 5 miles of me, NPL Site Narrative for Jackson Ceramix | National Priorities List (NPL) | US EPA ) Like you said...they were all thriving little villages at one time before some economic dilemma hit.