View Single Post
Old 07-27-14, 07:25 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I totally agree about the loss of revenue from prohibiting bikes to enter TOBAY; however, as a Town of Oyster Bay employee, I understand why it is that way. The concessions are privately owned by a company that pays a lot of money to be there, whether they MAKE money or not. The concession owner takes the risk expecting that revenue from beach goers alone will pay the bills and generate a profit. The Town's main concern is liability, and it is not obligated to ensure that the concessions turn a profit.

This is one of those cases where the Town is actually looking out for its taxpayers.

Regarding the wind, I've been riding this bikeway for almost twenty years and have rarely caught a break where there was no wind in either direction. I prefer the headwind on the way down and the tailwind on the way back, but at certain times of certain days, it can be reversed. I feel really bad for newbies who go out on this bikeway for the first time and end up turning around right away because they can't take the wind and have never experienced the rush of the return trip.

Yes, the extension to TOBAY is desolate and, in my opinion, kind of boring. The one and only time I've done it so far, my immediate reaction was that it needs some type of stop - perhaps an ice cream stand - at the mid-point to motivate people to use it...especially if there's nothing to do once you get to TOBAY (given that you have to walk a really long way to get to the beach). Otherwise, the Jones Beach boardwalk, on which you are permitted to walk your bike, is a much more entertaining destination.