Old 09-29-19, 11:16 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Which frame material should I buy on my next bicycle. This is such a loaded question with no good real world answer. I've looked all over the internet trying to get a handle on real world durability statistics for the many frame/fork materials out there. Plain and simple they are not available. There is lots of anecdotal evidence of almost any theory you want to support at the moment with no real data about frame and fork failure rates during use. In the laboratory carbon fiber is king when maximum stress cycles are applied to the frames and forks, Aluminum in certain grades beats all steels in maximum stress tests by quite a bit and steel in its many forms is way behind the other two. Yet in terms of everyday real world durability steel seems to perform admirably for decades in most cases with little problem One does not have to go far in these forums to find frame/fork failure stories for all three materials. Carbon fiber frames and forks must be inspected regularly for damage signs. When buying a used carbon bicycle have the frame/fork ultrasound inspected for hidden flaws. One carbon fork manufacturer says the resin used in making their carbon forks is good for 2000 hours of sun exposure then cut them up and throw them away. Because of the lack of transparency in the bicycle industry as a whole there is no real way to proclaim which material is best. The quest for the lightest material has led to components that can be very marginal or even unsuitable for heavier riders. There are large discussions about wheel durability in the Clyde forum because we Clyde's see so much component failure on our wheels. I ride steel because of low cost and enough real world durability for me not to worry about sitting on a steel framed bicycle. I personally have seen a lot of aluminum frames that cracked during real world riding. More than I've seen steel or carbon. I don't interact much with the racer crowd so that explains why I don't hear too many carbon failure stories. I ride two steel bicycles that are 40 years old, they are heavy but very durable and reliable. Good luck with your frame/fork material choices.
Likes For tallbikeman: