Old 03-29-20, 05:48 PM
jdishner

Bikes: Schwin Paramount XL, 2016 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I recently swapped out my 14T cassette for one with a 13T high gear on my RB and it made all the difference for me. I notice the taller gears when climbing, but I love them on the flats. You have the exact opposite dilemma so it boils down to either adding more teeth in the rear or fewer up front. I would probably look for a cassette with 32T on the low end. Something like a 12/32 cassette. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck. Moving from Il to Maine has to be quite an adjustment in itself.
Thanks for the input - it was nearly all flat in Illinois with lots of wind, on the lake it would be 13-20mph nearly every day. After I moved to the burbs it was less windy but out in the cornfields it was still open. I rode in a lot of groups and the slower cadence was noticeable, I would be working either too hard or not enough to ride in the paceline smoothly, but I stayed with it because I could smash my way through and in steady riding it would work. I had been advised to change to something smaller but it wasn't bad enough to spend the money on it. One ride here and I knew I had to change. I grew up here in Maine so Chicago was a lot for me, the lack of terrain, the millions of people, and the non-stop ambient noise and electro-magnetic fields were really getting to me after over 20 years. Very glad to be back, especially with the Corona thing going on...
Likes For jdishner: