Old 03-29-20, 06:35 PM
jdishner

Bikes: Schwin Paramount XL, 2016 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I usually recommend the Roadlink & bigger cassette, but 52/34 is a lot of chain to take up.

Consider biting the bullet and change the whole thing- chainrings to 50/34 or 48/34 (what non-pro needs 52/11?)

11/34 cassette, mid-cage RD, and chain.

I run this on my (older) Tarmac. The 48/34 works very well with less double shifting and more time in the big ring.
You helped me realize what I was actually asking for - not just easier climbing, because that will come in time as my form returns, but also more time in the big chainring. More useable gears and yes, some lower ones for the really steep climbs, but more that I can use on the false flats and the not as steeps climbs. There isn't enough flat or slight downhills that I can use the full range on the harder end. I'm not familiar with the Roadlink - can you describe or post a link? Also, what do you mean by mid-cage RD? I'm new to doing things like this more "on my own" instead of just going to a LBS and paying them. I've seen two other mentions here of the GS rear DR so at this point that is making the most sense to me. Thank you very much for your response and for helping me better understand what I'm looking to do.