View Single Post
Old 03-31-20, 10:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Thru axle really isn't a big deal for a decent truing stand to deal with, just need some form of adapter though I've had no trouble building thru-axle wheels using the axle from the bike, a cheaper stand might require some form of QR conversion item but the bigger concern is fitting the wheel.
I haven’t had to deal with too many through axles...they just aren't something that show up at my co-op that often. I have used a round adapter for the Park stand and it was a royal pain to use. The through axle doesn’t really fit in the stand all that well either. I found a different adapter but haven’t had the opportunity to use it yet.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
A stand I'm someone willing to recommend is this one https://www.amazon.com/Minoura-Porta...g%2C160&sr=1-3
I bought one of these about 25years ago and learned to build wheels with it, it will make the job harder then a real pro stand but I think will do better then the one you asked about for not a lot more money. I still will toss mine in the car if I'm doing some form of neutral support as it does work well for doing a quick true or spoke replacement truing; this looks like its been updated nicely though its still the workman version.
It would do the job with all of the same warts as the one 408Mopar is looking at. It wouldn’t do 142mm or 148mm any better than the GoPlus would.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!