rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
New guy just joined our morning training ride. He’s making a ton of newbie mistakes. This morning, I politely, but firmly, told him to hold a straight line when he was swerving in our pace line.

I don’t want to scare him off, because he's a nice guy and I enjoy his company. But he’s making a ton of newbie mistakes and I’d like to educate him without coming off like a pedantic jerk.

I guess the options are yell, politely tell him every time he does something wrong, dole out a single nugget of wisdom to him on each ride, or just keep my mouth shut and hope he improves on his own.

What do you think?

If you're riding at a pace where you can talk to him about it, then talk to him about it. If you're riding at a pace where you're going hard enough that all you can get out is a quick burst of speech, yell. The "We're going to yell at you" thread was about a training ride that was populated by, iirc, cat 1, elite type racers, hammering at max capacity. In that case, yelling is totally appropriate.

Maybe you should encourage him to stay on the back of the paceline until he feels a little more comfortable riding with you.