Thread: Tire pressures
View Single Post
Old 11-30-18, 12:02 PM
GeorgeAz

Bikes: Orbea Alma 2018, Specialized Allez comp triple 2007, 1977 Raleigh 3sp, 1984 Raleigh 531 Campy road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire pressures

Got a new and my first 29er and I really like it. I feel like I can bulldoze over everything. Quick question about tire pressures. I converted to tubeless and no issues so far. I run about 40 psi, I told some other riders my tire pressure on the trails I was on at the time, mostly hardpack single track. Like very hardpack, almost roadlike quality. I was riding pretty fast and I am not uncomfortable at 40 psi on these trails and I was looked at like I was an idiot. I was "informed" the tire pressure was way too high. It was recommended to 20-25. which to me would feel like I was riding on a flat tire.

I think if I was in a a rutted trail area with a bunch of roots and stuff, I might back off, but only to around 30psi. I run my road bike at 100 psi with 25c tires on the road, sometimes the road is chip sealed, but I rarely have an issue. Coming from a 26 mountain bike, the 29 is awesome. It is a hardtail and the tires are pretty compliant and I am a bigger guy. Am I wrong for running 40 psi? These are 2.1 tires.