Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I know that some of you don't care about speed or performance. This thread isn't for you. Please skip it.

At 58, I've reached the age where I'm mostly happy to find that I'm not yet getting slower each year. Most years, if I stay healthy, then by summertime I reach a level that's more or less the same as the previous year, and I take that as good.

This year, I'm faster than I've ever been. Well, I started riding in my late 40s, so I'm sure my hypothetical 20 year old or 30 year old self would have been faster, but that's moot.

I'm not going to write down numbers here -I'm not posting in order to brag - but on solo rides I can reach average speeds that are better than previous years. On Strava segments, I regularly break PRs that have stood for 5 or 8 years.

Why?

Yes, I've been putting in the miles (3000+ outdoor miles so far this calendar year), but that's normal for me in years when I haven't been stopped by injuries or too much travel.

Partly it's that I'm now regularly riding with a group that is on average younger and stronger than me. These rides include semi-organized sprints, (Ride leader says, "First 3 to the 'Stop Ahead' sign!", which may be a mile or so ahead, and we all take off.) I always lose the sprints, but they are excellent cardio workouts- something like intervals. In previous years, I rode with this group, but not as regularly, in part because I wasn't fast enough to hold my own in the pace line (i.e., do my share of the pulling).

Partly it's because I've been working on technique. I'm lucky that I can still ride in a low tucked position and not suffer back pain or other. I've improved my ability to ride low, hands on the hoods with my elbows down, for long periods of time.

Other than that, I don't really know why. It makes me VERY happy.

I know that diminished returns are coming in a few years. I'm just glad that I'm not there yet. If there's a lesson for 50+ riders who care about performance, it would be something like this - be lucky enough to avoid injuries, put in the miles, and ride with people who challenge your limits.
OTHER THAN THAT???

I don't think there is other... You could be riding a Walmart bike, and if you did everything you mentioned, you would still be faster than before...