Old 07-15-19, 10:27 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Scwhinn Varsity

Originally Posted by game_player_s
Oh, yeah, third bike... was dead tired last night and failed to post it after getting the other two typed up. Believe it is a 1976 Schwinn Varsity as the color appears to be "Chestnut", which isn't listed as a offered color for the following years, and it has a huge frame size.
I picked up one a couple years back all original ('ceptin' tubes/tires) and no rust;1975 per the serial number. Looks identical to yours, my paint appears a bit brighter like semi-tarnished copper; but could just be age/weathering of your paint, same bar wrap. My frame is also huge; I don't ride it (62 cm, I'm 5'7"), just bought to fix and give away to a friend or sell. I did ride it without the saddle and post (only way I could) when fixing, and had a blast on it; once you get that heavy steel moving it'll keep going. I like the old Scwhinns; easy to modify, just finished a World Tourist for my friend's 60th birthday. He loves the thing and is now tooling around all over the place, and I'd been trying to get him on the road for the past 25 years; now he calls to tell me he's beating my daily mileage (retirement must be fun, I wouldn't know)!

Last edited by HPL; 07-16-19 at 12:10 AM.