Old 08-19-19, 08:17 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot
Thank you for your input, very appreciated! I am glad that there are other people who tried to do the same what I am trying to do. But I think I must clarify some things.

The whole gravel challenge project was brought to live because I am genuinely interested in finding the most comfortable bike setup possible. My spine and my knee are not in the best shape so I really need a bike that will be as comfortable as possible. So, apart from subjective feelings (which is all you can get from professional bike reviewers), I needed some more objective way of defining what is more comfortable. Thus I came up with my method of measuring vibrations and thus I measure those vibrations on my body. I am not interested in finding exactly how frame is compilant alone (that is why I do not measure frame vibrations) but how my body vibrates when I do my usuall riding (both forrest and fast gravel). Based on your comment I should probably stop calling my method scientific at all because I know that scientific means that not only measurement are controlled (which are in my case) but also are easily replicable (which are not in my case because they are applicable only to my specific case, my specific body and my specific test routes).

For my purposes my methodology is enough because it shows in repeatable tests which solution adds comfort to my bike and which is not. I am aware of limitations of my measurement that is why I created a marging of error like 2%. Maybe it should be even bigger like 5% and I should not try to measure impact of a marginally different setup like tubeless vs tubes but again, if I constantly get a readings around 10% (and above) less vibration I can with 99% certainty say that in my case this solution is indeed more comfortable and thus more beneficial to my rides. And to be honest it is all I want to achieve. I am not interested in scientific lab tests but a real life objective (as objective as possible) measurments.

Maybe all of above should be on my website so people will not be mistaken and know exactly what I am after...

Again, thank you very much for your input!
so did tubed actually feel smoother? You can also run lower pressure tubeless since you don't have to worry about pinch flats that would make a much bigger difference if your goal is comfort, like can you run the GK at 20psi tubed consistently on real terrain and not get pinch flats? That seems on the low side for a non tubeless setup