View Single Post
Old 03-07-21, 11:30 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by 73StellaSX76
Hey Matt, nice pic, looks like you have miles to go and the sun is setting.
I recently fitted a Redshift suspension stem to my gravel bike. It makes a world of difference to me on steep rocky, rooty, or potholed descents. It reduces fatigue on your hands while braking and enables less need for braking. I resisted getting one for six years now in the interest of keeping things simpler, sure wish I’d made the move sooner. For smooth gravel roads it doesn’t do much. For washboard or potholed pavement it helps a lot. For rocky single track it’s great. Obviously not to the level of an mtb, but much improved. I run 700x42c front and rear for reference.
Oh, and I’m the last person to consult on bar tape color, no help there.
Second ride yesterday -- much better. By the way, my hands were hurting from braking, not from being rattled around. I keep a super loose grip except when braking. I think I just either need to bleed my brakes or get a set of Hope RS4 replacement 4-pot calipers. But I'll keep the Redshift in mind.

Here's a shot from Sullivan Canyon in the Santa Monica Mountains above Brentwood.

Likes For mattcalifornia: