View Single Post
Old 01-15-20, 07:39 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Those Shimano FD-6207 front derailleurs are my favorites when I'm building a Shimano or frankenbike. I use them with 5-6-7-8 speed rear cogs. They shift crisply and the cages are long enough to handle many triple setups.

The cages are also wide enough that I rarely have to trim the FD after a rear shift.

Speaking of "tried to kill me", I had my new Ed Litton out for a short maiden voyage yesterday. About 4 1/2 mile in, after fine tuning the seat height and angle. I reduced the front tire preasure from 90 psi to 85 psi and every was perfectly dialed in with a beautiful ride and handling.

I was doing a slow, sharp left hand turn when I felt my left pedal strike... next thing I was doing a face plant!

Sidewall blowout on a NOS sewup!

I'll survive but the brand new black brake levers are trashed!

THINGS TO DO IMMEDIATELY AFTER A FALL:

1. Look around and make sure no one saw you take a spill - to preclude embarrassment.

2. Check out the bike for damage.

3. Check out yourself for injury.

verktyg
I hear you, I have permanent scarring on my right hand from a terrible fall years ago. It's damn scary when it happens while you are standing and pedaling.

I am amazed how well that derailleur works. That is 10spd Shimano drivetrain with a SRAM Apex cranks that are compact. It shouldn't work but does perfectly. That is something I love about Shimano stuff, that cross compatibility is great.

I'm on a roll with bike fixing too. Reused some bar tape on my Jamis Aurora with the weird Denham bars.