View Single Post
Old 11-27-20, 03:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
1. Lose weight. 2.0 pounds per inch is good for climbing, and you're 15-20 pounds too heavy to do well on hills. You're too fat to be fast if you can't see your abs.
2. Ride 7-10 minute intervals as hard as possible once a week until you can no longer average more than your FTP. This is the most effective way to lift VO2max and FTP according to Dr. Stephen Seiler.
3. Spend hours riding below your aerobic threshold where you're not feeling your legs and breathing isn't rhythmic. Do not go harder because recruiting your fast twitch fibers is sticky, and they take the load off your slow twitch fibers so you don't train them. Mark Allen set his 2:40 Iron Man marathon split record which stood for 25 years when Phil Maffetone trained him like that, although initially it dropped his training pace to 8:30 miles.
4. Follow a periodized training plan 6-10 hours a week with one day off.

That got my FTP up to 220W and weight down to 136 pounds which is 3.6W/kg.

Most of us made the rookie mistake of hard days that are too easy and easy days that are too hard. That will make you less slow than a couch potato but not fast.
Originally Posted by one4smoke
So, at 6'3" you should only be 150 lbs? Seems too skinny to me.
I'm 6'2" tall. I'll get off and push my bike up hills before I get down to 148 lbs.
Likes For Koyote: