Old 01-11-21, 07:03 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Well, there's periodic maintenance on such bikes that I'm sure he'll get a kick out of learning how to do. Tube repair, brake pad swap and tuning, cable swap along with derailleur tuning. All good future mini-projects you can do with him.

As for the memories: he'll probably always remember doing it all with grandpa, as well. And that's a memory that won't easily fade. (I remember the sprinkler system I put in with grandpa, along with digging all the holes for the new trees getting planted. Won't mention the toilet swap, as I've blocked out that one, but all the rest were 'priceless.' Funny what you learn as a kid, when you've got a handyman for a grandpa.)

Your next project: see if you can keep ahead of the guy, once he gets completely comfortable on the thing. An increasingly tough challenge, I suspect. Enjoy every precious moment.

I suggested to his Dad that he help me fix his BMX bike and then he can sell it, he thought that was a great idea. I'm kind of surprised Dad let the BMX get in disrepair but it did so I'll take advantage of the opportunity to teach him more. I was just about his age when I tore my bike apart and put it back together just to see what made it go. Admittedly it took me a few tries to get it back together LOL but I did, after that it became a Spring ritual.