Thread: Hex Wrench Set
View Single Post
Old 01-14-21, 05:08 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
T-handle hex drivers are nice, but many times when working as a machinist, the T-handle wrenches just wouldn't fit because they were too tall or the other side of the T was blocked by whatever was being worked on. More often than not we always grabbed the L shaped hex keys. Might not be as much conflict on a bike. But you only need two or three sizes.

As for what brands? I'd be happy with any that is a known tool brand name.
I will always have L keys around if I need them. Definitely leaning towards T-handles. 2mm-10mm covers everything on all of my bikes. I have other options, too (1/4" drive socket set with a variety of handles and extensions.)

Originally Posted by veganbikes
For L wrenches, PB Swiss, Silca or Wera are all excellent options. For T handles, Beta and PB Swiss are my top choices but if I was putting on a wall in a shop I would probably go Park Tool in this instance their new T handles are quite nice actually.

Always get the best Hex wrenches you can. Bondhus and Eklind aren't bad tools but aren't as nice as some of the other stuff out there and not what I would want in my normal usage. For a travel kit that I use infrequently fine but having used and owning really top end hex stuff I wouldn't want to go back.

If you are looking for a screwdriver style Wera makes a really nice one or if you get a bit and socket set the Snap-On swivel head ratchet is awesome and well worth it. Wera also makes one of those and is probably also good but the Snap-On is truly a nice tool.
Thanks for the info. Part of my reason for not going with Park is budget. Some of those other brands you mention make Park look like a bargain. For a pro using tools every day, I'm sure the high-quality stuff is great. From what I can tell, Bondhus and Eklind look like they hit a sweet spot of quality and price for my needs in my home shop. $40-ish for a 2mm-10mm T-handle set is kind of what I'm looking at.