Old 05-14-19, 05:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Currently I get 5 weeks of vacation. I like to take 1 one-week trip, 1 two-week trip and several three-day weekend trips and/or overnighters. If this country had a rational health care system I would probably semi-retire next year.

I pad off my mortgage way early, only have a small auto loan at 0% and live below my means.

I tour alone. With nobody else. It's nice to take a break from constant interaction with others. Funny, because I had a brief discussion about that subject with Gen. George Patton's grandson last May during a tour that included a two-day stop at my 35th high school reunion. He opined that I must not like to be around people. I noted that I am usually around people every "normal" day. I also noted that when I am touring it's not like I don't interact with others. They are simply different types of interactions. When you go it lone you need to be comfortable with your own company.

BITD I took nearly two years off from the working world. Took 3 extended trips during that period, including one of nearly 4 months. Financed them all myself (no government benefits) with my severance package, the money I had saved for years in preparation for being downsized and flopping with mom when I wasn't traveling. You have to keep in mind that back then (1999-2001) you could get over 7% interest on something like a Fidelity money market fund.
Likes For indyfabz: