View Single Post
Old 04-28-19, 11:17 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 92 Posts
remove both wheels, crankset, fork, seat post, stem, rear der. Get the first box to just the minimum dimensions of the frame length, height & width. You want to avoid the oversize or especially the oversize x 2 category. They used to calculate size by adding height, length and width of the box. Striping the bike to just the frame means you can use a shorter box which may make up for the extra length. Putting all the parts in a second box means the first box can be narrower which also reduced the total dimensions.

Second box for the wheels and all the parts which will be well under the oversize categories and won't cost an exorbitant amount.

When I received my Project Rwanda Cafe Velo, the box was pretty big. They would normally ship 2 frames in 1 box and the 4 wheels in another. Since I only got 1 bike, they put the wheels in next to the frame in the double wide box. Parts were just thrown in loose but nothing got damaged (lucky me that time).

If you were just shipping in the 48, an Amtrak bike box is large enough for a lwb or tandem.

When my wife went to Alaska races, we found it was just cheaper to buy her larger gear there rather than try to ship it. She donated it to some locals instead of trying to bring it back.

How is Hawaii for biking? Roads are limited due to the volcanos and mountains so traffic can be pretty awful in some areas. I suspect that shipping an lwb will be less than a years worth of gasoline there. When you run out of money and move back to normality, I'm sure you can sell the lwb.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 04-28-19 at 11:20 PM.