Old 06-13-18, 01:34 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I loved riding through Death Valley/NV/UT. Where next?

Hi all.

I'm casting a wide net, I know. But I have one month to be out this fall and can go anywhere in the lower 48. I need some help narrowing it down.

Two years ago, I did my first tour. It was solo/fully loaded and was mid-September to mid- October. I started in Sebastopol/Santa Rosa, CA > Napa Valley > Central Valley > Yosemite > Lee Vining/Mono Lake > Owens Valley > Lone Pine, CA > Death Valley > Las Vegas > Lake Mead > St George UT, Zion NP > North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Four weeks, and about 1,100 miles. (80k+ ft of climbing!)

The highlight of all that was definitely Death Valley; especially Big Pine to Furnace Creek (in 3 days). Not only b/c it was beautiful, I actually liked the heat.

I have the same window of time this year -about Sept 15th to Oct 15th- and want to get back into the desert. (I don't necessarily need to cover all those miles this time) I know it's a tall and maybe over-generalized order, but where would you ride if you had a month and loved the American Southwest? Joshua Tree? The Mojave? Somewhere in New Mexico, maybe? Should I just go back to Death Valley?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by Brett A; 06-13-18 at 01:39 PM.