Old 11-20-19, 04:18 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
So though axle is a way to handle disc brakes because they put different stresses on the frame. I get that. And they are not as convenient for wheel changes than the traditional quick release with rim brakes. I don't get that. It seems to me that since cars and motorcycles all got disc brakes then the bicycle builders have convinced people that we all need discs. Yes, I've heard all the arguments about wet weather etc etc. I would never spend that kind of money to get brakes that I don't need with through axles I don't want. Thanks.
I don’t think there’s any need to discuss the merits of thru axles or disc brakes on this thread. It’s not just a dead horse. It’s been buried and decomposed. The thread is about a very specific bike.

@OP, I personally think that PF30A isn’t the worst BB spec out there because you can use a Shimano, DUB or BB386EVO crank on it, in addition to Cannondale cranks, of course. The only issue is the availability of BBs, and I believe there’s a great selection of sleeved pressfit bearings, thread-together BBs and even one-piece BBs. You can get into the discussion of poor manufacturing tolerances that Cannondale has a reputation for but that has nothing to do with the design itself.

Some people recently were talking about how the non-hi mod old gen SuperSix felt “dead” compared to other carbon frames in its price range or top end carbon frames. I personally cannot claim to know the difference, but it’s worth test riding an EVO vs Hi-Mod to see if you notice a difference in responsiveness. Make sure to use the same wheels/tires across both.