Old 03-08-20, 07:30 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by essiemyra
Hi,

My bike is an entry level specialized vita that is 9 years old. I typically ride about 2000 to 2500 miles a year between commuting to work and joy riding and local touring weekends.

I was told by my lbs that I need to replace my front wheel due to the bike rim being worn because the bike is 9 years old and the rim has a lot of wear. Is this a valid concern?

Also when replacing the rear cassette and chain how necessary is replacing the front chain-ring in making the drive-train run correctly, as the front chain-ring has not been changed in the 9 years I have owned the bike. My lbs is suggesting I do this. I want the bike to run as smooth as possible.

Let me say that I was in my lbs and asked them to change a flat tire and use the same brand and model tire I currently had on the bike. The mechanic said they did not have that particular tire. So he showed me another tire that was cheaper and I told him he could use it. While he was changing the the flat tire, I went and looked in the showroom and found the same tire that was on my bike. When I brought it back to show him and ask him if it was the one that was originally on my bike he said yes. I asked him to change out the two he had put on that were cheaper and give me the new but same tire brand and model that was originally on the bike and he did the work. I find it hard to believe that I could find the brand and model that I originally had and the mechanic could not. It makes me not trust him or the shop. That is why I am here asking the questions about what I was told at the lbs.

Thank-you in advance for any and all help.
Anything is possible. A few closeup pictures of the suspect parts posted to the forums will do more than guesses.