View Single Post
Old 06-17-20, 10:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Honest question, why is it offensive for somebody to disagree and make a suggestion? Specifically in this topic? So that it stays "on topic". As we really need to clarify that point before this topic can move on. That was my point about BF I just made. Somebody isn't allowed to disagree, provide data, make suggestions. We're just allowed to nod and say "I OBSERVE that you did that".

The patronizing I do about "don't know what to say for you" is because everyone gets offended every time somebody wants to disagree and receives an earful for having an opinion.

How about this then, it is MY observation that for many people 10 hours a week of exercise could present realistic challenges to achieving a target weight. Is that any better? It is MY observation that lots of people work jobs and have families where even to control weight, you can't spend 10 hours on a bike per week. It is MY observation that lots of non-fitness guru non-fitness nut types would deem the training regiment for something like I presented (a half Ironman) of 10 hours per week as "ludicrous". Ludicrous meaning "unreasonable". It's in the dictionary as a use of the word. Based on MY observation it could be considered "unreasonable" or "ludicrous" to spend 10 hours a week when you must also balance work and home. Unreasonable being asking somebody to do something that logically is at odds with what is probably possible.

When you all present your observations, it could guide others on what to do. That's why it matters.

Don't conflate that I use the term ludicrous in the other derogatory form of possibly meaning "foolish". That's you putting the meaning in it you want to portray me as the opinionated turd raining on the "observations" topic.

Don't be pedantic about the topic "observations" to try to make it fit your narrative of how you individually seem to want to guide the topic.

Next, don't assume that folks posting up opinions don't present them from some kind of experience also related to the topic. I started riding to not go on hypertension drugs years back and avoid having to buy new clothes.

So, got it............no opinions allowed......only personal anecdotes.

If that's the case........it should be a one post per person topic, right? Or only update posts about yourself, right? Shouldn't be any other comments, observations, opinions, or debate going on. Looks like the mods can delete about 2/3 of the topic then?

Why's it like this on BF in so many topics? It's this topic. It's anytime the topic of e-bikes or recumbents leaks out of those subforums. It's anytime that anything training related leaks out of that subforum. As soon as they're out, no opinions allowed. No comments allowed. No dissent.

Very specifically this SAME thing happened in the "e-bikes and exercise" topic. Several people kept asking for better evidence and proof of one thing or another, or had a differing opinion than the original topic start..............and out come the tar and feathers.

Oh, pooor, poor you. So persecuted.

In my first response (#457), I politely disagreed with you and explained why. You then doubled down with the patronizing "I don't know what to say for you", at which point I definitely took offense. Check the tape, you've been extremely rude and dismissive of my opinions since your first sentence, and my opinions have solely concerned what works for me. Sorry if I think my knowledge of what works for me is infinitely greater than yours, but them's the breaks when you start offering unsolicited "you shoulds" disguised as "opinions".

This conversation isn't going forward because I don't have any reason to respect your opinion on what I or anyone else "should" do, and you consider that "tarring and feathering" when that's pointed out to you. You never had any interest in a conversation, you just want uncritical responses to your poorly-informed lecturing.