Old 08-04-20, 08:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
None of those seem like very good reasons to me.
OK. They're excellent reasons for other cyclists.

Originally Posted by dkatz1
1. I of course don't know, but many of the people I see aren't anywhere near someplace they're likely to be going to work. And if you've been sweating, you're going to be sweaty. A few minutes without a helmet aren't going to change it. Good grief! A SWEATY HEAD!
Do you commute in 90° with 80% humidity in the morning? Yes, as soon as you stop, you'll start to sweat and likely profusely. While you're moving, the breeze keeps it at bay.

2. You're just as likely to bash your head when NOT doing "hard training".
Do you do any hard training? HIIT? Sounds like not ... you are far more likely to have an accident when you're pushing limits.

Even in Europe where hardly anyone wears a helmet, roadies while training typically do.

3. I didn't know that riding a helmet makes you slower, but I would suspect that if it does, it's not very much. .
You misunderstood. You have to bring the helmet for the group ride, because they won't let you ride without it. It's the only reason you brought the helmet. But you want to ride more for various reasons, and your judgement is that it's unnecessary for the ride. ("you" as in the person carrying his helmet on the handlebars. I doubt that this applies to you personally)

Last edited by wphamilton; 08-04-20 at 02:08 PM.