Old 07-24-20, 05:18 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I have a 2007 Specialized Roubaix Comp triple. Great bike. However, I have never felt confident going downhill on windy roads that weren't completely smooth. I always feel like if there is some bumpiness (gravel or those "wake up you are about to go into the opposite lane divots") and I am riding the brakes that I'm on the verge of losing control. I get the sense that the brakes are about to chatter locking up after losing contact with the road momentarily. I have felt this with other bikes so I think it is my technique more than anything.

Doesn't seem to matter if I'm using the drops or top of the bars, as soon as I use the brakes with road chatter I feel like "this might be the ride". Probably doesn't matter that I'm on a straight or windy road, I guess I just ride windy hills more often. Any suggestions? I'm not going super fast, maybe 30mph max.

Anybody else have this experience?
If you are riding down steep hills on rural roads for the first time you need to use extra care. On occasion these roads offer not only potholes but craters. I don't ride in groups much anymore but if you do let the cowboys go. Do not get on wheels to draft on on downhills. In 2008 a young man who rode with us forgot to tighten his front wheel quick release and the wheel separated after a bump. He took six riders down at 40+mph. It took 30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive. I barely missed a bike frame.

I almost never use my brakes, especially the rear one. I am always looking ahead to anticipate hazards. Stay off the drops unless you are clear of dangers which can hit with no warning. I almost hit a chicken once in farm country. Anyone can go fast on downhills; it is the climbs that separate the men from the boys. this does not mean that brakes are not important. Keep them well maintained but use them sparingly. Happy cycling.
Likes For Ray9: