Old 01-19-16, 11:16 AM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SPD vs SPD-SL pedals and stack height, how do you measure?

Hi there

I just switched from Shimano's PD-A600 pedals (one-sided SPD road pedals) which I used with Northwave MTB-shoes to the Ultegra 6800 SPD-SL road pedals which I am using with Shimano R171 road shoes. As it's probably normal during the first days with the new pedals and shoes things feel slightly different and I am wondering if I should adjust the saddle height for the different stack height of the pedals. Problem is, I am not sure what the stack height is.

On the web I found a source that said 13.7mm for the Ultegra pedals (did not mention though if it's the 6800 or an earlier model) and 14.3mm for a Ritchey one-sided SPD road pedal which is the closest thing I could find to the PD-A600. Double sided Shimano SPD pedals are listed as 17mm. Then I guess the shoes play a role as well. I would have thought carbon-soles on a road shoe should be thinner than the sole of a non-carbon MTB shoe, right?

So my questions really are the following:

- Is there any information available on the stack height of specific pedal and shoe models?
- If not, is there a semi-reliable way of measuring it?
- Should I even bother, those couple of mm up or down won't make any difference anyway?

Any advice will be very welcome. Thanks!

Lars