Old 08-06-19, 06:30 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
TIL - my bike prefers Wet Lube vs. Dry Lube even though I live in a desert...

TL;DR - I was Today Years Old when I learned my road bike prefers Finish Line Wet lube to the Dry variant.

My SuperSix Evo Di2 Ultegra had a variable vibrating-type of sound coming out of the rear cassette area when I was pedaling. I wondered if it was because I had recently had my LBS replace the Cannondale 52/36 SI+FSA crankset with an Ultegra FC-R8000 50/34 crankset and maybe it needed more tweaking. The 105 R7000 drivetrain on my FX S6 has been much quieter in comparison.

I am pretty regular about wiping the chain down regularly with a rag after each ride, and approximately once a week cleaning the chain and cassette, rinsing with soap+water, and then again with just water, letting it dry, then re-lubing each chain per ParkTool's recommended video method, with Finish Line Dry lube. I figured, it's Los Angeles, it rains like 20 days a year and I don't ride during those days. I do this with both bikes after about 75-100 miles--where I live is very dusty and the chain gets grimy fairly quickly.

I bring in the SuperSix to my LBS and have them listen to the noise. He asks me what lube I use, I tell him. He wipes the entire chain down with a rag, brings out the Finish Line Wet lube, applies it, spins the pedals, and the sound lessens and then nearly disappears, to the point where it's now as quiet as my other bike.

Who knew. Wet lube > Dry lube, at least for my road bike.