View Single Post
Old 12-28-10, 07:02 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Well, speaking for myself alone... yes, that sounds about right. That is, I'm willing to pay shipping my frame to you. JYB, we ride the same frame size which pretty much excludes us from doing this kind of business together, except that we have pretty radically different taste in bikes, so maybe there's hope after all, but then again I pretty much only have crappy ones and you pretty much only have nice ones, so... uh, never mind.

My hope with this thread is that we consider passing our useless goods ("crap") on without worrying too much about what we get in return, so long as it fits. The frame I have is, for my purposes useless ("crap") because it's too (a) small (b) racy and (c) modern. Something in my size would be far more useful. If it's still crap, at least it would be crap in my size. It's not a terrible frame. It's really quite nice, it's just useless to me.

I'm not a gambler, and I recommend anyone playing this game understand what they're getting. But inasmuchas the BOCPAG was gambling, and the secret Santa game was gambling, this too is gambling. You put something in, and you get something out. No one promises that what you get out is more valuable than what you put in.

Anyway, I started this thread, and will follow it, but I'm not making up the rules. I'm merely suggesting rules I'd like. Make your own rules, arrange your own trades, and make someone happy. If anyone's happy, I'll be happy.

And if I get a 60 cm Claud Butler (or Holdsworth, Carlton, Hetchins, Norman, &c), I'll be especially happy!

Edit...
Yes, John, you have it right. This isn't to be limited in any way. It's a free-for-all! Anyone who wants to organize it, categorize it, and make it work, please! Be my guest!
Okay, I think I get it--this isn't an ISO thing for high-end desirable frames, but a way to get underused, unloved frames out into the world where they'll do some good. And in fact, I've been wanting some sort of 25-inch hi-ten frame with bad paint to make a winter beater out of. The only problem is that I don't have anything similar to trade. I'll keep my eye out for a 23-inch frame of the same general kind--easier to find than a 25, probably.
Who's going to step up to the plate and develop a system to make all this happen? It won't be an old luddite like me, I don't think.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash