View Single Post
Old 05-13-19, 07:28 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Right...

I bought a full suspension mountain thinking full suspension was inherently "better" around 10 years ago for $1,500. Was a bit shocked at how much power I was clearly losing when riding on flat ground with the shock on vs shock locked out. In a ride with other people I was biking as hard as I could and couldn't keep up with them without them slowing down for me.I remembered I could lock the shock out, and suddenly I had no problem keeping up with them without even trying very hard. It was that big of a difference.

You bring up up good points in your post, but -

I don't spend much time on racing so I googled it:
https://www.active.com/running/artic...ull-suspension
"...One thing is for certain: More than a decade after full-suspension bikes started popping up in World Cup cross-country competition—think Henrik Djernis and his BMW-Proflex team of the mid '90 - they're (full suspension) still the exception at the highest levels of cross-country racing."

They may have improved rear suspension but it sounds like hard tail is still usually a hair faster even on super expensive bikes with pro riders, for the most part.

For casual riding just pick whichever would make riding more enjoyable for you. But for me I wish I had gone with a hard tail, it would be less hassle when I go riding as I find needing to top off the air shock every time a bit annoying (needs an extra shock pump), and I prefer the more connected-to-the-ground feeling of a hard tail. Also hard tails are much cheaper to buy.
They run hardtails at those wimpy XC race courses, more like smooth 'cross race courses. I check my air shocks maybe once a month. Basic suspension from 10 years ago? Like a phone or computer from then, an antique. So many settings and adjustments these days, preload, small bump, amount of travel, low and high speed compression etc. The point is to run what ever bike suits you. the trail and your needs. I have a hardtail fat bike, 2 rigid 29ers, a full sus 29er and a hardtail 26er and a cross bike. All see trail time. And bikepacking too.