horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Approaching 60... and learning all over again

Well, it's not that I'm desperate, but I hit the big 6-0 in two weeks, and I'm getting back into regular cycling after a six-year hiatus. My long-term goal is to get into great shape prior to retirement in a few years, with the notion of riding like @jppe. I want to regularly ride in the Blue Ridge mountains, and maybe even Europe one day. It would also be cool to travel and meet up for rides with the C&Vers from time to time.

I've been riding regularly (well, a couple times a week at least) since March, gradually building ride time and effort. But I made the error of pushing it last week, trying some intervals for fun, and now regretting that. I apparently still have the mindset of my fitness from seven years ago, but the body has not kept up! Fancy that! Thank God my weight is back to prior levels.

I realize I need a formal training plan, so I'm going to work that out once I have "Cycling Past 50." I went searching for my copy, only to recall having lent it to a friend years ago, who soon after moved away (along with my book). I have a Garmin 305 with HR strap that still works, I just can't download any data (yet!) and it's no longer supported by Garmin. I want to ride and train wisely, so I'm planning to get a new unit this year and add some kind of power meter, probably a pedal-based system that I can move from bike to bike as the mood strikes. Gonna start with small goals and work my way up. One goal is to ride up Paris Mountain in Greenville, a three-mile climb of 8% average grade. It's beaten me twice when I was in better shape. That's for late this year. No centuries, imperial at least, for this year. Just establishing a solid base and learning how to climb efficiently.

I'm not young enough, nor do I have the time, to just "ride lots," like Eddy recommended. I need to ride smart, but I need to keep it fun. No riding buddies at the moment. It's just me. I figure I'll do specific work-out rides during the week (i.e. alternating interval and hill repeat sessions) with a fun/endurance ride on the weekends. I'm going to use a wattage calculator and the HRM initially to monitor progress. I've picked out some quiet roads nearby for those sessions.

Any tips from you 60+ iron-men?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports