View Single Post
Old 01-22-20, 02:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22592 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I envy your weekly rides, in a way.

I usually ride by myself, and whenever I do ride with others I find myself painfully slow. I'm not competitive in any meaningful way, even with myself, so I never put in the effort to get any faster.

The last open to the public group ride I went on was a 30 mile gravel ride during which I was way off the back almost the whole time. The ride organizer kept hanging back occasionally, which I appreciated, but I could tell that I was holding him back from the ride with his buddies that he really wanted. It didn't help that I was underbiking a bit with 38mm tires on a 35lb touring/randonneuring bike with fenders and luggage. Perhaps a dedicated gravel bike would make things a bit better.

There is one club that does scheduled road rides through the spring and summer, but I haven't ever made it out to any of them, somewhat due to paragraph 2 above. At least I do have a true road bike that wouldn't be totally out of place.

Maybe this year.
I encourage it. I am lucky in that my club has LOTS of group rides, some are fast, some are medium, and some are really quite sedate. I hope you can find a supportive group to ride with. It makes me feel safer on the road, plus it’s fun to talk bikes or life with others.

edit plus drafting
Likes For datlas: