Old 08-26-19, 12:16 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
So I'm going to go ahead and order one of those Innicycle headset adapter thingamajiggys that I posted about earlier.

What's the verdict on mixing and matching silver/black for seatposts/stems/bars? I'd like to avoid the roadie police coming after me in full force!
Just yesterday I rode my +/- '84 760 build with stock fork. Black and silver components ;"\

Hammer down 35 mile with a mix of road surface, some really rough with busted asphalt. The bike amazes me and even with clinchers (Veloflex Masters 25) on 32 spoke deeper Mavic CX30 rims. Love this bike.

The build is not the lightest means but super mannered, holds a line very well in tight fast corners. Bonus the whisper quiet road sucker, unlike any modern carbon frame / wheels and angry bees sounding hubs.

Interesting enough, few weeks back on a Thurs night fast group ride, I swapped rides with another. Rode his Felt carbon, (don't recall model), we share similar size but I could've used a but of saddle adjustment. Anyways, we hammered on the same route as above. I was pounded to punishment on the Felt but clearly had a boost on the climbs. Contrary, the fellow on my 760 was grinning. He couldn't believe how fast and comfy this 35 year old steel bike and weighing 7-8 lbs more could better tackle the rougher portions.

I've watched many a rider on modern carbon 'slow down', elevate off the saddle in the rough road. So now these same riders whine about how harsh their modern carbon ride and now want the latest frames with clearance for fattie tires.

I suggest to keep the stock fork but to pour the money in a super wheelset. Consider premium tires in any type - clincher, tubeless to tubular.