View Single Post
Old 06-03-20, 01:35 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
Bikes in general are a tough sell around here, they always have been but its the tall frames that sell the fastest. I had a Raleigh Grand Prix that looked like brand new, which someone had added a set of alloy rims and alloy cranks to in a 19" mens frame, I had it listed for $75 for a year, then I dropped it to $50, then $25, not a single email off FB or CL. I even put it up at $10 and got no replies. I finally parted it out and scrapped the frame. The same thing with a couple of small frame Schwinn Varsity and Continental bikes, they just sit, all while the larger bikes keep selling.
The funny thing is most who buy the big frame bikes don't need a tall frame, they just want to ride a 'BIG' bike. I've had guys who needed a box to stand on to get on the bike and they still bought it. I don't think I've sold one yet to someone who was tall enough to ride one. I just sold a late 80's Raleigh USA Pursuit in a 26" frame to a guy who was no more than 5ft 2in tall. I had a Marathon in his size in much better shape for a few bucks more but he wanted the big frame. He could barely reach the pedals.
When I was a kid I didn't have enough money to buy a road bike. I rode a hand-me-down cruiser. It was probably a Western Auto model. But I knew people that owned Schwinns and Raleighs. The style back then was to ride a big frame and slam the seat post down to nothing. So it looked like they were sitting on the top tube. Depending upon the geometry, the fit was probably decent. I ride a 58cm but can easily ride a 60cm. The stand over sucks, but once I'm going it is fine.