Old 11-14-18, 11:56 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedud
Many, many years ago I was living in Southeast Georgia (Coastal Plains) and tried to prepare for a multiple day Gaps ride in the best way I possibly could. Our industrial park had a railroad overpass that was much steeper and considerably longer than any climb in the area so I did repeats on the overpass and eventually built up to doing them in the biggest gear/fastest pace I possibly could. I want say I did great in the Gaps, but I managed pretty well. Of course I was much, much younger at that time. There is no replacement for actually climbing steep grades, but sometimes your options are limited and you just gotta do what you can.
It sounds like you did the best with what you had. But I agree, when you get older you start to realize what was possible in your 20s and 30s just because your WERE in your 20s and 30s. I've watched my son who is an average athlete, do some amazing bike rides and his first marathon with only a very moderate amount of training. But he was in his later 20s and nothing seems to hurt much at that age.