Old 12-10-18, 02:41 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Who has gotten those comments before? When rolling out of the driveway for a 25 mile ride on a 30°F, but otherwise beatuiful afternoon...a neighbor comments to me "It's too cold for bicycling. You're crazy."...as he loaded his skis into the roof rack on his car for a trip up to the mountains for some weekend skiing...where it'll surely be significantly colder than the 30° I was ridding in.

Dan
30F - I'd love to enjoy those warm temps!

Back when I biked to an office daily, year-round (I'm working from a home office these days), I'd get similar comments for all sorts of conditions: sub-zero temps, winds, snow, rain, heat, .... It's kinda amazing how fragile some people think we are.

For the winter, I typically ask the person if they every go skiing in the winter ... I explain I use the same gear on my bike as I do for XC skiing or snowboarding. Occasionally, I'm lucky enough to see the lights will flicker on - but normally, nothing but a blank expression.

Edit/afterthought: a couple years ago, a long time bike-commuting buddy and I were texting on the coldest day of the winter (air temps were -20F with windchill close to -40F). He asked if I biked to work, I told him I took the car 'cause I'm a fair-weather bike-commuter. We both LOL'd.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 12-10-18 at 02:47 PM.