davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Google “hypothenar eminence.” It’s the pad that runs along the edge of your hand between your little finger and wrist. It’s the part of your hand you’d use if you were gonna give someone (something) a “karate chop.”

The typical use of bar ends leaves the hypothenar untouched. If you mount the bar ends towards the middle of the bar, the hypothenar could be pressed down on the top of the handlebar unless a grip could be firmly positioned high enough up the bar end. A little pressure in that area is no big deal but hold it against the edge of your desk (or top of the handlebar) for awhile and you’ll note it’s not fun.

It’s just an observation on my part. It looks like your bar ends are pretty tall so you should be good to go. I don’t think I could get away with it with my monster mitts.

-Kedosto
Hey thanks again for the great information. I’m not a big guy and I don’t have huge hands. I just took it for a test drive this morning and I am considering pulling the plug out of the bar ends and taping them for a better grip in order to minimize the chance of what you just described