Old 02-14-20, 01:12 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
A lot will depend on the materials prep, and overall quality of the joint. If done well, it is unlikely that the post will suddenly drop 1 foot. But, more likely the risk of twisting, or a drop of an inch or so. Annoying yes, but probably little more than an annoyance.

And the repair for a failed joint will be quite simple..

We have a lot of bonded materials in life, and a quality tube-in-tube bond would be one of the strongest possible bonded joints.

If the current seatpost is loose, I'd evaluate whether a larger, and perhaps longer one would be appropriate.

Get it right the first time.

Oh, and the vintage steel posts were mentioned. Not necessarily my first choice, but the twisting post toppers may have an advantage of reducing any twisting forces that get transmitted to the seatpost. Anyway, at least worth considering the implications.
I remember well the time I adjusted the height of my alloy seat post and thought I'd tightened the binder bolt enough. I was a bout 25 miles from home when I hit a pothole and the seat post slid down about one inch. Riding with the cleats was awkward. I was passing a small hamlet a few miles down the road and saw a fellow working in his garage. I asked if I could borrow a 5mm hex key. He loaned it to me and I was able to get the saddle back to the right height for that bike. I figured it happened because it was one of the very few times when I didn't have my hex keys with me.

Cheers