Old 04-18-20, 04:00 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
I'm seeing ~750 miles (sorry, I'm a Luddite and can't find your exact route via RWGPS), so I used Google Maps and bicycle transportation... That AVERAGES 63 miles per day given the 12 riding days. Through hilly terrain for much of it. Probably NOT at all realistic!

My only long tour was back when I was in top form at age 20, and had been riding at least 500 miles/week. My 'tour' was along the glacially-scoured (and flat) southern Great Lakes from Cleveland to Milwaukee. The biggest hills I had were highway and railroad overpasses! Yeah, I had a few 100 mile days. I even stretched three together. Note again, that I was only 20! I only carried two changes of clothes, plus what I was wearing. I allowed time to wash my clothes every other day in a laundromat that I'd find along the way. I didn't carry any camping or cooking gear, preferring to eat at local town 'greasy spoons' or a McDs or Burger King... I slept under city park picnic tables, or under bridges/culverts along he way... Minimalist!!! Yeah, I made the first ~480 miles without any problems, I 'rested' for a week while I visited relatives in Milwaukee and Madison - but on the way home, I taco'd my rear wheel in the middle of EBF-Indiana, and that put me behind a whole day and a half while I sourced another... Not too many bike shops out in Rural America!

I have a tour kicking around in my head -- ~1040 miles of mostly flat terrain, and I am planning on only riding 35-50 miles/day on my riding days. I'm giving myself almost a month. 22-23-ish riding days. I'm adding some planned rest days, and a few more for weather delays ( I've ridden many Century rides in the rain, and I don't like it! ). Hey, I'm ~62 now, and this time I'll be B&B or motels -- I'm getting too old to be sleeping on the ground! -- which means I have to plan the day's riding so I can find one within range... I can't make a reservation more than a day in advance because of my weather (or equipment) uncertainty... again, bike shops can be hard to find!!!