View Single Post
Old 07-21-17, 08:01 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ball Bearing
I much prefer a less trendy bigger bike with a larger frame and a longer wheelbase.
Unfortunately, my geared bike (my much beloved Europa - bought new in the early 80s) died (frame broke). I needed a geared stablemate for my fixed gear Hillbrick, but didn't have the money for a new frame. The KHS came up cheap, and people have been telling me for years I need to get away from my old school, steel bikes and buy a modern racer, and this seemed like a good chance to find out what they were yapping about. Well, it needs 28mm tyres to be almost as comfortable as my steel bikes and, as we're discovering, may have handling quirks when asked to work as I work my other bikes - of course, that may be due to a problem that can be fixed. I kinda like the bike, despite the frame being far too big when judged by racer standards and the 'fat' tyres make it comfortable enough to ignore. I just need to get it playing nicely down hills.

Buying second hand bikes is always a journey. I suspect everyone starts it hoping it'll be a match made in heaven from the first roll of the wheels but realistically, bikes are sold for a reason. The 'journey' is to sort out those reasons.