View Single Post
Old 06-15-20, 04:01 PM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
June is an opportunity to escape Texas, and head back home to visit with family. The drive felt longer than usual -- with most places still closed (and avoiding those that were open and busy), 'rest stops' amounted to take-out meals in the driver seat. Once back home though, the cooler weather and warm welcomes eased any lingering stiffness from the drive.

After a few days helping around the house, I finally had some open time to get out on the bike. I left promptly by 8 ... the temperatures were brisk for this now-acclimated Texas resident. The brisk chill was mildly uncomfortable, but no worse, and I was confident the day would only warm up. The ride took me around some of the "hills" that Iowa has to offer; although they aren't steep at all, the elevation did slowly add up at first. By the halfway point though, I wanted to explore some new developments (new rail trails) that had appeared while I was gone. I followed the trails up and through the cities, until I broke through the other side. Before long, the city's paving efforts gave over to county-maintained crushed gravel (which still offered a nice ride for the 35c tires on my 'road' bike).

I was so excited to keep moving, reliving old roads and finding new ones, that I could hardly find the patience to wield the camera (I was too focused on the maps and memorizing new turns). I pinky-promise to get a few good views to share for July. Photos or not -- checking in here has still been excellent motivation to keep going (especially with the current lack of organized events to help stick to a training plan).

Last edited by Bulette; 06-15-20 at 04:04 PM.
Likes For Bulette: