Old 02-25-21, 09:48 PM
oik01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Bike Choice: SRAM AXS vs More Updated Frame

So I am looking into getting a new bike and obviously this covid market has made things a bit more difficult. Im coming from an early 2000s TREK 5000 and am due an upgrade.

My initial leaning was towards the madone SL6, the idea being that its in my budget, offers sleek looks ( especially if you upgrade the handlebar to hide the wires), aero frame and wheel, speed, plus the comfort of the isospeed. The concern here is that I am buying an 11 speed bike when I feel like everything will be 12 speed soon. The SRAM AXS options for similar bikes seem to be quite a bit more expensive at near 7000 dollars which puts them out of my comfort range for now.

Alternative that came up is the canyon ultimate mainly because I can afford the AXS groupset. I like the idea of having the 12 speed but am concerned that a new iteration of the bike is likely coming out this year. The exposed wires in particular may look aged in the future? ( I am not considering the aeroad mainly because I am afraid its too aggressive and just 15 mm of spacers is not enough for me when my fit continues to evolve). I am just not sure which would be better: Going for a relatively newer looking bike with an outdated groupset, or an outdated bike ( released 2017) with a newer groupset that won't feel dated in years?

For whatever its worth im a young professional, mostly weekend rides, tend to do long days out during the summers, and while I am doing trainer road and aiming to improve I would say I am still in the novice category. FTP around 220 at 160 pounds 6 feet. My position on the bike keeps changing and I feel a bit more confident with the geometry matching on the trek since I can test it out ( My current bike has no geometry charts. In a fit I got a stack figure of 577 and reach of 382 through their software but I am measuring 570 and 390).

So again, not ot digress, what would you think will make the bike feel more aged a few years from now, that newer models are out or that the groupset is a bit outdated?

Last edited by oik01; 02-25-21 at 11:18 PM.