Old 04-02-14, 04:54 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Soonerinfrisco
I weigh 260 lbs and ride a Tarmac Pro. After popping some spokes on the Ksyriums that were stock. A few years ago, I had Colorado Cyclists build me a set of CXP 33 rims in 32/36 with Ultegra hubs and DT spokes. Pretty standard build from their website. Absolutely rock solid, never been knocked out of true. Probably 12-15K miles. You know the saying, light, strong, cheap...pick any two! I went with strong and relatively affordable. Also run a set of stock 32 spoke Ultegra Open Pros on my steel Allez frankenbike and they as well have been solid and stay true. These can be had pretty reasonable online but the CC build is pretty bomb proof for me. Stiff too. I run Gatorskin 25s on front and 28s on back BRW. Decent ride quality IMO.

Try to negotiate some $$ and put it toward a build! Good luck.
I can certainly attest to the quality of the Mavic higher profile rims. My first second hand bike came with 28/28 CXP30 rims. I never had a problem with the wheels until just before I got the A23s where a spoke kept coming loose. That was after 3 years under me and however long under the previous owner(s). The wheel just needs to be rebuilt. I went for the A23s as the 23mm rim revolution had just begun and one of the factors I was chasing was the cornering performance on our tighter crit circuit. For those that haven't experienced it, there IS a difference with the 23mm rims, especially in this aspect.

Originally Posted by achoo
There's a reason why the DTs are more expensive - they're a much, much better rim.

IMO you'd have been slightly better getting CXP33s if you had to go with Mavic, unless you saved money by going with OPs. Last I looked, the Weight Weenies web site showed that OPs tend to come in well over the weight Mavic claims for them, making them just about as heavy as CXP33s, with none of the strength and aero advantages of the CXP33 profile.

Probably not a big deal, though, as a well-built OP wheel will work just fine.
I haven't gone with a new build as I had Prowheelbuilder make me a set of Kinlin XC279/DA hub wheels around Christmas. These were to be my race wheels, so I had them to fall back on. The rebuilt wheels will be a training set to just tick over the kms on the road so no need for aero. Also aero and weight weren't a factor here, just matching to the spoke length I had.