View Single Post
Old 07-03-14, 09:05 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
I agree with the recommendation to go ahead and ride with that faster group, you get better at any activity by being surrounded by those who are better than you.
Furthermore, I find it much easier to ride fast with a group (or even just one other rider) than by myself. I think I save energy and don't let it all hang out when I'm by myself, but with a group I just hang on.

Also... ride more. I rode every day in May for National Bike Month and rode a lot more than my usual miles in June as well, and on recent group rides I'm finding myself easily able to keep up with the group (or even pull ahead).

One other thought.... get a fixed gear bike. For training there are several advantages including making sure you're always moving, always working, and also makes you attack hills because if you don't you have a much tougher time making it up the hill. Hill climbs on a fixed gear (or even just a freewheeled single speed) bike also give you a lot of practice in riding out of the seat if you're not especially comfortable doing that.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 07-03-14 at 09:10 AM.